anadvornik

Deborah Harkness
Foiled
Jane Yolen, Mike Cavallaro

The Mascot: Unraveling the Mystery of My Jewish Father's Nazi Boyhood

The Mascot: Unraveling the Mystery of My Jewish Father's Nazi Boyhood - Mark Kurzem This is the unbelievable true story of a man who kept silent about his childhood for 50 years. It is about memory, identity, fear and survival. At 4 or 5 years of age, Alex Kurzem watched his family be killed by Latvian soldiers. He escaped into the woods. Some time later, a group of soldiers "rescues" him from the woods and adopts him as one of their own. One of the soldiers warns him to keep his Jewish heritage a secret. Kurzem is given his own military uniform, and travels with the soldiers. Eventually he is used for propaganda by the Nazis. The book is written by Kurzem's son, who goes on a quest to find his father's real identity. The book reads like a novel, with controversy surrounding his father's revelations. Soldiers are still being tried as war criminals, and there are people who do not want Kurzem's memories brought to light. As with any account of the Holocaust, there were difficult parts to read, but I highly recommend this fascinating story of WWII.